Web Developer (Southampton or remote)
Location: Southampton or remote (UK)
We’re looking for a talented Web Developer to join our growing team. This is a full time role and a chance to work with modern technology, a super talented team and some amazing clients.
This role can either be based in our Southampton office (with flexible working and work from home options) or remote from anywhere within the UK. If remote, some travel to our offices in Southampton will be required for team get togethers.
What does Rareloop do?
We help ambitious businesses and charities to design and build best of breed digital products that have a positive impact for the organisation, specific communities or the environment.
For this role this could mean: a full modern MVC WordPress build, or a highly interactive bespoke UI element, or maybe an integration with a CRM or payment gateway.
What will you be doing as a web developer?
- You’ll architect entire sites from the tiniest component to whole pages up to the URL level
- You’ll execute the design such that it looks good on any screen
- You’ll apply semantics to content
- You’ll build the UI abstractly such that you can re-use parts and styles efficiently, even across sites
- You’ll consider the accessibility of what renders in the browser
- You’ll be concerned about the performance of the site, which means you’ll deal with how big and how many resources are being used by the browser
- You’ll produce a clean and highly-usable editing experience for content editors
- You’ll work with designers to add flair and personality to a site through interactions and animations
- You’ll take care to ensure your code is both resilient and well tested, with a considered user experience for non-perfect outcomes (e.g. errors)
- You’ll respond to reported issues and resolve them efficiently
Web development these days might also include:
- Fetching your own data from APIs and manipulate the data as needed for display
- Dealing with the state of the site on your own
- Mutating/changing data through user interaction and input and persist that data in state and back to the servers through APIs
Modern Web Developer expectations inspired by Chris Coyier.
- Desire for constant improvement
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to multitask
- Excellent communicator
- Organised and thorough, taking ownership
- Ability to recognise and reason about decisions made
- Strong problem solving skills
- High attention to detail
- Experience with component based front end and page builders
- Experience building systems rather than pages
- Experience striking the balance between reuse & repetition
- Experience with OO and MVC WordPress
- Experience with at least one FE JS framework (e.g. Vue)
- Good fundamental knowledge of JS and PHP
- Experience building websites at scale
- Experience with asynchronous programming
- Strong understanding of data and how this is important to FE rendering
- Able to write resilient and defensive components
- Good knowledge of git and associated workflows (branches, squashing, rebasing etc)
- Server-side rendering in PHP with progressive enhancement on the front-end
- Experience with web standards and cross-browser compatibility
- Good knowledge of performance (page speed and interaction)
- Good accessibility knowledge
- An understanding of technical SEO and semantics
- Great debugging and testing skills
- Solid experience using MySQL (or equivalent)
- Experience with Laravel
- Experience consuming API’s in PHP and JS
- Test Driven Development and/or visual regression testing
- Experience with CI and automated processes such as deploy/linting/testing
- Experience working within different project environments and methodologies
As a valued part of our team you’ll get
- A competitive salary (£35-40k DOE)
- 25 days holiday
- Sick pay package
- Flexible working hours
- A great work/life balance
- Contributory Pension (after 3 months)
- An opportunity to develop & grow your skills within an expert team
- Continuing Personal Development (CPD)
- Yearly training budget
- Free coffee/tea and soft drinks (once the office has re-opened)
- Regular free lunches to celebrate team wins (once the office has re-opened)
- Private Medical Insurance*
- Dental cover*
- Optical cover*
- Employee Assistance Programme*
- Eye care vouchers
- Central Southampton office location with free parking
*after successful completion of probation
We are an equal opportunities employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees regardless of an individual’s age, gender, relationship status, race, religion, sexual orientation or disability status.
How to apply
If this sounds like the role for you, please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. There is no deadline for applicants, we’re keen to hire the right person and willing to take our time to find them.
No recruiters/agencies please!
What’s it like to work at Rareloop?