Love building digital products using PHP? We want you on our team!
The role is a full time position based at our studio in Southampton and requires a good knowledge of modern PHP web/software development. You will be working along side a tightly knit team of talented people to craft amazing solutions to real problems.
What you can expect
We’re committed to seeing people grow and their careers develop, here is what you can expect to be doing in the first 6 months:
Month 1: You’ll work on a number of existing projects, ranging from websites to apps, to backend systems assisting with the development of new features and getting familiar with our coding style. You’ll work closely with our other developers, helping to suggest solutions to technical challenges but not be expected to complete these alone.
Month 3: You’ll be up to speed with our ongoing and upcoming projects and have gained experience in a range of coding styles. You’ll be taking more responsibility for the direction & development of new features, engaging other developers for collaborative input rather than prescriptive instructions.
You’ll take an active role in studio life, getting involved socially and helping us to build upon our culture.
Month 6: You’ll be capable of working autonomously on long running tasks, understanding how your work fits into the larger project. You’ll work together with others to complete larger projects but be responsible for the delivery of your part. As an integral part of the team you’ll be relied upon to push forward our internal tooling and help to drive our coding standards and conventions.
We’d love to see
We don’t expect years & years of industry experience, but we do expect a firm grasp of web development fundamentals, a good understanding of how to architect non-trivial systems and a hunger to learn and grow.
We’re specifically interested to see:
- Enthusiastic social team players that enjoy life. We love the work we do and have built a fun, relaxed environment that encourages team collaboration as well as individual growth. We’re looking for people that will help us build a great culture and continue to make Rareloop a great place to work.
- Strong problem solving & organisation skills
- A high attention to detail
- Experience building non-trivial websites, web apps & platforms
- Experience using PHP frameworks such as Laravel or Symfony
- Experience developing API driven applications
- A good knowledge of Programming Principles
- Excellent communication skills. You must be able to express your ideas clearly to others in the team and possibly to clients.
- An ability to multi-task. As a small company we often have multiple projects running at any one time, you’ll be expected to meet multiple deadlines across multiple projects.
- A passion to learn and grow
Experience of the following are not a requirement but will give you an advantage:
- Experience with Test Driven Development
- Experience with server configuration and/or appropriate tooling (e.g. Ansible)
- An ability to adhere to coding standards and an understanding of tools that might be useful
- An understanding of OO & SOLID principles
What you’ll be using
We use a wide range of tools and frameworks depending on the needs of the project, some of the most common you’ll be working with include:
- WordPress (using our MVC framework Lumberjack)
As a valued part of our team you’ll get
- A competitive salary
- A great work/life balance
- An opportunity to develop & grow your skills within an expert team
- Access to a Mac with all required software
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Opportunities to attend leading web development conferences
- Unrestricted, priority access to the Southampton Open Device Lab
- Assortment of coffees/teas and fruit
- 25 days annual leave a year
- Flexible working hours
Salary guide: £25-32k (depending on experience)
Please email your CV and any related links (portfolio, examples of work etc) to firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no deadline for applicants, we’re keen to hire the right person and willing to take our time to find them.
No recruiters/agencies please! We’re looking for a talented, motivated individual that has shown the desire to work with us by taking the time to contact us directly.
We’re a small tightly knit team of digital artisans, used to punching above our weight. A blend of designers, developers & problem solvers, we love crafting unique digital experiences for web and mobile.
What we do
Be it a website, a mobile app or a complex web system; researching, prototyping, designing & developing are all part of our process. We help clients journey from ideas to fully working products and beyond into post launch support.
We’re a relaxed and friendly team and enjoy taking a collaborative approach to working with clients. We’ve got an eye for detail, a passion for elegant interactions and a curiosity for problem solving which all lead to digital experiences that delight and perform.